Isola delle Femmine Connection
Directions for Pastry Shells:
1. Sift flour, 2 T. of sugar, and a pinch of salt.
2. Cut in shortening.
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients
4. Add egg and gradually add wine and the vanilla.
5. Knead dough until stiff.
6. Cover and let stand for 2 hours in a cool place.
7. Roll out one section of the dough at a time.
8. Cut into ovals and wrap loosely around a canolli tube or cut sections of broom stick.
9. Fry in deep fat until golden brown.
10. Drain on paper towels.
Directions for Ricotta Filling:
1. Mix ricotta, 1/4 cup of sugar, citron, cinnamon, and chocolate.
2. Refrigerate until ready to stuff shells.
3. Stuff shells just before ready to serve.
4. Dust filled shells with powdered sugar and garnish ends with candied cherries.