Paul R. Giamona
2 packages dry yeast
2 1/4 cups 120 degree water
6 1/4-7 cups unbleached flour
1/4 cup oil
1 T. sugar
1 T. salt
1-2 T. milk
1. Combine 3 cups of flour, yeast, sugar,
and salt in a large bowl.
2. Add the water to the dry ingredients.
4. Gradually add the remaining flour,
working it in by hand if necessary.
5. Knead for about 15 minutes.
6. Place dough into a warm bowl that has
been greased with butter or oil.
7. Turn dough to coat, cover with plastic
wrap, and place in a warm place to rise.
8. When double (about 30 minutes to 1 hour),
punch down and let rise a second time.
9. When double, remove from bowl. Work
and knead the dough for 5-10 minutes.
10. Cut the dough into 2 equal portions. Let sit
for about 10 minutes.
11. Stretch dough and fold top 1/3 unto the
middle and the bottom 1/3 unto the top. Repeat folding from
side to side. Repeat this step 2-3 times.
12. Form into 2 loaves.
13. Place loaves on a baking sheet covered lightly
with corn meal.
14. Cover and let rise until double.
15. Brush loaves with milk and sprinkle with
16. Score loaves with a very sharp knife.
17. Bake at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until
brown and crusty.
18. Spray oven with water during baking or place a
pan of boiling water in the bottom of the oven.