Canolli is an Italian pastry consisting of a pastry shell filled with
a sweetened ricotta cheese. This Sicilian style canolli is the
recipe of Rose Aiello Cutino.
2 cups flour
2 T shortening
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 lb. ricotta cheese
1/4 cup chopped citron
1 chocolate bar with almonds, chopped
2 T. sugar
1/2 cup sweet red wine
1/4 t. vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 t. cinnamon
pinch of salt
Directions for Pastry Shells:
1. Sift flour, 2 T. of sugar, and a pinch of salt.
2. Cut in shortening.
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients
4. Add egg and gradually add wine and the vanilla.
5. Knead dough until stiff.
6. Cover and let stand for 2 hours in a cool place.
7. Roll out one section of the dough at a time.
8. Cut into ovals and wrap loosely around a
canolli tube or cut sections of broom stick.
9. Fry in deep fat until golden brown.
10. Drain on paper towels.
Directions for Ricotta Filling:
1. Mix ricotta, 1/4 cup of sugar, citron,
cinnamon, and chocolate.
2. Refrigerate until ready to stuff shells.
3. Stuff shells just before ready to serve.
4. Dust filled shells with powdered sugar
and garnish ends with candied cherries.