3-4 T flour
3-4 T butter or oil
1 c celery, diced
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, mashed
2 bell peppers, chopped
Small can of tomato paste
2 c water
2 quarts chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1 t thyme
2 T flatleaf, Italian parsley, minced
2 t salt
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t cayenne pepper (more if you like it hot)
1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 T gumbo file' powder
1. Prepare a rue by browning the flour
in oil or butter very slowly stirring constantly.
2. Add celery, onions, garlic, and
bell peppers and cook until onions are translucent.
3. Add tomato paste, water, and
4. Bring to a boil and then reduce
heat and simmer for about 1 hour.
5. Add shrimp and cook for an
additional 10 minutes or until shrimp are cooked.
6. Remove from the heat and add the
7. Serve over steamed rice.